From 2012 Perú

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Kentucky Update

Greetings from Mt. Vernon, Ky. Two months have passed since I arrived in eastern Kentucky to work with the Christian Appalachian Project (CAP) and what an experience it has been. CAP is a wonderful organization that offers many programs to help the underprivileged people of the Appalachian mountains. I work in the food pantry where we serve about 40 different families a day with food. What good and appreciative families they are! Even though they have many needs, they are happy for the most part and have a tremendous amount of love for The Lord and their families. CAP’s philosophy is to offer a hand-up not a hand out so that the Appalachians can have more opportunities to better their living conditions. The Lord is definitely hard at work here.

I live in a volunteer house with 9 other ladies ranging from the ages 17 - 67. Community living is a new and fun experience for me where we share in the cooking and house keeping. Kentucky is a beautiful state where the snow falls are awesome. I have been introduced to a lot of the local customs and culture which have been interesting and exciting. Since I am only 3 hours from our Gatlinburg house, I get to go “home” on week-ends.

I miss all my friends and family in Charlotte but October will be here before we know it. Take care! Love, peace and good health.

Nancy Tabor

No comments:

Post a Comment