From 2012 Perú

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Prayer Request

Friends:

On Tuesday, I will have surgery to relieve symptoms of spasmodic dysphonia, a neurological condition that has affected my voice for the last 30 years. For more than 20 years I have received quarterly injections of botulinum toxin directly into the muscles that activate the vocal chords; these injections dramatically improved my ability to speak. In the last 12 months, however, I have received 4 of these treatments and none of them have provided relief for more than a week or two.

Not having a reliable voice has made my first year in my new position as PCUSA World Mission Regional Liaison for Brazil and the Southern Cone frustrating, to say the least. But colleagues have been patient and understanding; I've become a whiz at participating in on-line meetings using the chat function!

My physician here in Argentina, Dr. María Viti, put me in contact with Dr. Domingos Hiroshi Tsuji in São Paulo, Brazil. Dr. Tsuji is a world-renowned expert on the human voice; he has developed a new procedure that provides the same relief as the botulinum injections, but permanently. After looking at my clinical history, he and Dr. Viti determined that I am a good candidate for the surgery. The procedure is not invasive and I only expect to be in the hospital one night. I should be able to speak right away, although I expect to be hoarse for a week or two.

Mary and I fly to São Paulo early Monday morning; I check in to Albert Einstein Israelite Hospital at noon on Tuesday. The procedure is scheduled for 4 in the afternoon on Tuesday. We plan to return to Buenos Aires on Friday afternoon.

Our thanks to colleagues at the PCUSA offices in Louisville for working with the insurance company to get the necessary approval to cover the expense of this new procedure.

Thank you for your prayers!

I hope to be speaking with you soon...

Under the Mercy,
Dennis

Dennis A. Smith
dennis.smith@pcusa.org
PCUSA Regional Liaison, Brazil and Southern Cone, World Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment